-no title-

: [1]

: Sanctuary DVDs by Alex Ortega  ( 12984 )
donsmith
: 5

« : April 18, 2009, 05:25:37 PM »

Hi folks....I have recently watched Sanctuary teaching DVDs by Alex Ortega, (produced in Landsborough, Queensland/possible date 1992, according to his quoted date of 'Yom Kippur' in the year he made the broadcast).

His comments concerning the KJV references to "His Spirit"...Spirit of God"..."Holy Spirit" caught my attention.

He teaches that when "His Spirit" is used, eg. 1 John 4:13, this refers to..............the Spirit of Jesus Christ
                   when "Spirit of God" is used, eg. Romans 8:9, this refers to..............the Father's Personal Spirit
                 when "the Holy Spirit" is used, eg. Luke 11:13, we are looking at a 3rd Person.

To your collective knowledge is this 'common knowledge', false or otherwise?

Would appreciate your comments.........God bless...........donsmith 

Sherlene
Administrator
: 199

« #1 : April 25, 2009, 09:47:07 PM »

Hi DonSmith
Sorry to be so long getting back to you.  Life doesn't stand still for long it seems.

Many years ago I watched the Alex Ortega tapes you are referring to, but I must admit, I don't recall that information being mentioned at the time, however that says more for my poor memory than anything else.

You said:
He teaches that when "His Spirit" is used, eg. 1 John 4:13, this refers to..............the Spirit of Jesus Christ
                   when "Spirit of God" is used, eg. Romans 8:9, this refers to..............the Father's Personal Spirit
                 when "the Holy Spirit" is used, eg. Luke 11:13, we are looking at a 3rd Person.

I would like to watch the video where Alex Ortega mentions this particular slant if you could direct me to it please.  Is it on YouTube?  I only have it on video and our video player doesn't work any more.

In answering your question, for the sake of saving time for myself, I've copied and pasted this from Identifying the Unknown God (SDA version) from www.themeofthebible.com  I hope this is okay with you.

Sorry this is a long post.

In his book Truth in Translation, Jason David BeDuhn, (2003: p135-136), the following statement is made:
   “The books of the New Testament were written by and for people who were much more accustomed to speak of 'spirits' than we are today.  The vocabulary of “spirit” was used broadly, and covered just about everything that occurred beyond the realm of the physical senses.  Of course, we still speak of 'spiritual' things, and still have expressions such as 'the human spirit.'  But the relative rarity of such expressions in our daily speech skews our understanding of the biblical language of 'spirit.'  Because we have effectively narrowed the range of 'spirit' in our thinking when compared to that of the New Testament world, we tend to run together in our mind the distinct things called 'spirit' in the New Testament. This tendency collaborates with the historical development of Christian theology, which has over the centuries elaborated the idea of the Holy Spirit, and consolidated many references to 'spirit' in the New Testament within this idea. Later Christian theology also applied the technical status of a 'person' on the Holy Spirit, which has lead modern translators and readers to think of the Holy Spirit in human terms as a “who,” even a 'he' rather than as an 'it' that transcends human measures of personhood.  As a result of these conditions, many modern translators read the Holy Spirit into passages where it does not actually appear, verses where 'spirit' is used to refer to other 'spiritual' things.  At the same time they confine the Holy spirit within human concepts of personhood by altering the meaning of Greek pronouns from neuter to masculine.  The real danger here is that the Holy spirit as it is actually found in the New Testament will  be misunderstood and distorted by adding ot it qualities it does not have and attributing to it acts that the biblical authors actually ascribe to other kinds of 'spirit.'  It is essential that the New Testament texts be read with an understanding of their own manner of expression.  It is the duty of translators to convey to modern readers the exact way in which the New Testament speaks of the Holy Spirit and other spirits, and not to distort the texts by reading into them biased interpretations rooted in our later position in history.”

Dr BeDuhn gives an example of Acts 8:15.  The King James Version translates the verse as follows:

Acts 8:15
“Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:”

But Jason BeDuhn points out that the literal Greek translation reads,
 “that they might receive a holy spirit (pneuma hagion).”

Acts 8:17-19
“Then they placed their hands upon them and they received a holy spirit (pnuema hagion).  And when Simon saw that through the placement of the hands of the apostles the spirit (to pneuma) is given, he offered them money, saying, 'Give to me also this authority, so that on whoever I might place my hands they might receive a holy spirit (pneuma hagion).

Other examples are also given by Jason BeDuhn.

Acts 10:38
“Jesus of Nazareth, how God anointed him with/by a holy spirit (pneumatti hagion) and power.

Luke 11:13
“The Father from heaven will give a holy spirit to those who ask him.” (ho pater ex ouranou dosei pneuma hagion tois aitousin auton.)

John 20:22
“And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, ' Receive a holy spirit.'” (labete pneuma hagion).

Acts 19:2
“And he said to them, 'Did you receive a holy (pneuma hagion elabete) when you believed?  And they (said) to him, 'We have not even heard if there is a holy spirit (pneuma hagion).'”

Luke 2:25
“And a holy spirit was upon them.”

Acts 5:32
“We are witnesses of these things and (so is) the holy spirit, which (ho) God has given to those who obey him.”

Ephesians 4:30
“And do not cause grief to the holy spirit of God, by which you are sealed for a day of redemption.:”

1 Corinthians 6:19
“Don't you know that your body is a temple of the holy spirit in you, which you have from God.”

Jason BeDuhn (ibid., 2003:140, 141) also demonstrates that according to the grammatical rules of Greek, the holy spirit of God is an 'it' not a 'he' and that  the changes that different translations put on these verses “have no foundation whatsoever in the Greek words of the biblical text.” Jason BeDuhn is a trinitarian, yet in his book, Truth in Translation, where he compares 9 Bible versions,  he concedes that the spirit of God is not correctly translated as neuter (an 'it') in most Bible versions.

In conclusion Jason BeDuhn states:
“It is not the theology of the translators to which I object, but the habit of imposing that theology on the biblical text.  Their theological interpretation of the character of the Holy spirit may be right. But it can only be right if it is based on an unbiased reading of the Bible, which is supposedly the authoritative source.”

Putting tradition aside, we find the identity of the Holy Spirit clearly revealed in the Bible and that explanation harmonises the seemingly conflicting impersonal and personal traits of the Holy Spirit.

Father and Son are “Spirit”

John 4:23, 24 (the Father)
“But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a spirit (#4151 - pneuma) and they that worship him must worship him in spirit (#4151- pneuma) and in truth.”

Acts 22:6-8 (Christ)
"Saul, why persecutest thou me? And I answered, Who art thou, Lord? And he said unto me, I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom thou persecutest."
(Christ appeared to Saul in His glorious spirit form – blinding light)

1 Corinthians 15: 45, 47 (Christ)
“And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit…. The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.”

There is no mention of the 3rd Person of the Holy Trinity, the Holy Spirit, being a “personal spirit” or that “the 3rd being” is “in the express image of the Father’s person” or form.

The Father Has a Spirit

Matthew 10:20
“For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.”

The Son Has a Spirit

2 Corinthians 3:17
“Now the Lord (#2962) is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord (#2962) is, there is liberty.”

Strong’s Greek Concordance:    #2962  kurios - Lord; master, supreme in authority #1203 despotes – Lord; an absolute ruler)

The “Lord” is identified as the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God in Jude 1:4,14.

Jude 1:4, 14
“For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord (#1203) God, and our Lord (#2962) Jesus Christ. And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord (#2962) cometh with ten thousands of his saints.”

Notice the Greek words identify “the only Lord God” - the only “absolute ruler”- as the Father and  “our Lord Jesus Christ,” (who is supreme in authority over us).
The Holy Spirit Has no Spirit
The 3rd person of the Godhead has no bodily physical form and no spirit.  The question is pending; can a spiritless, formless being exist at all? 

The true holy spirit of God and Christ is simply the Divine Mind; (Divine thinking), which when communicated to humanity, represents the actual presence of the two divine Beings.

The Father Sends the Spirit – the Son Sends the Spirit
(But There is Only One Spirit)

Luke 11:13
“If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him.”

John 15:26
“But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me.”

Galatians 4:6
“And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.”

Genesis 6:3
“And the LORD (#3068 Yahweh, the Self-Existing One) said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.”

Yahweh (Jehovah) is the Divine name of God, shared by both Father and Son.

Ephesians 1:17, 18
“That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him. For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.”

Romans 8: 9 -11
“But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.”

EJ Waggoner, Christ and His Righteousness, chapter 5, p 8 (1888 sermons)
“Finally, we know the Divine unity of the Father and the Son from the fact that both have the same Spirit. Paul, after saying that they that are in the flesh cannot please God, continues: "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." Rom. 8:9. Here we find that the Holy Spirit is both the Spirit of God and the Spirit of Christ.

The Mind of  Christ – the Mind of the Spirit

Just as a man’s spirit is his mind, his character, and the intrinsic identity of a man, so the spirit of God is the divine mind, the words, the thoughts, the divine Identity and Character, which belong to the Father and the Son.  The gift of the spirit of God refers to the communicative process whereby divine thoughts/mind/spirit are ministered by angels to receptive human minds.

1 Corinthians 2:11, 16
“For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit (#4151) of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit (#4151) of God….For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.”

Isaiah 40:13
“Who hath directed the Spirit of the LORD, or being his counsellor hath taught him?”

Advent Review and Sabbath Herald, 26 April 1892 para 9
“O if you were hidden in Christ, if you were on the Rock of Ages, when you are
brought before kings and great men, it would be evident that Jesus was at your side, and you would know just what answer to give, for the Spirit would give you what you should utter.”

And some basic concepts about spirit in the Bible reveal this is consistent with the foregoing.

The Concept of the Spirit
Careful Bible study reveals the truth about “the spirit.”

Proverbs 20:27
“The spirit (#05397 - intellect) of man is the candle (# 05216  niyr  neer – light)  of the LORD, searching all the inward parts of the belly  (# 990: btn beten -  the seat of mental faculties).”

In the Hebrew, the word translated as “spirit” is “ruwach” or it is also “nshamah.” 

The Strong’s Concordance defines “ruwach” (#7307) as “ wind; by resemblance breath; i.e. a sensible (or even violent) exhalation; life, anger, ..; by resemblance spirit, but only of a rational being, including its expressions and functions;” air, anger, blast, breath, courage, mind, quarter, side, spiritual, tempest, whirlwind, windy.”

The Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew Lexicon also adds that “ruwach” (#7307): is wind,  breath,  mind,  spirit; as seat or organ of mental acts; as seat especially of moral character; as energy of life; as manifest in the Shekinah glory; never referred to as a depersonalised force.

The Strong’s Concordance defines “nshamah” (#05397) as a puff, i.e. wind, angry or vital breath, divine inspiration, intellect. or (concretely) an animal:--blast, (that) breath(-eth), inspiration, soul, spirit. see HEBREW for 05395

In the New Testament, the Greek word translated “spirit” and sometimes, “ghost” in the King James Version, is “pneuma.” 

The Strong’s Concordance defines “pneuma” (#4151) as “ a current of air, i.e. breath (blast) or a breeze; by analogy or figuratively, a spirit i.e. (human) the rational soul, (by implication) vital principle, mental disposition, or (superhuman) an angel, demon or (divine) God, Christ’s spirit, the Holy Spirit: - ghost, life, spirit, mind.

The translators of the KJV chose to apply different English words in various places as they translated the Hebrew word “ruwach” “nshamah” and the Greek word “pneuma.”  Note that in both Hebrew and Greek definitions, "spirit” is interchangeable with “a sensible exhalation” (words) and “mind” and “intellect.”

Which Spirit is in Man?
In reference to the definitions (translated spirit) given in the Strong’s Concordance, the Thayer’s Greek Lexicon and the Brown-Driver-Biggs Hebrew Lexicon, following are shown some examples of “ruwach” (#7307 - Hebrew), “nshamah” (#5397) and “pneuma” (#4151 - Greek) meaning:

•   Glorified presence of Divinity (the Shekinah glory)

Genesis 1:2
“And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.  And the Spirit (#7307) of God moved upon the face of the waters.”

•   Angels

1 Kings 22:19, 21
“And he said, Hear thou therefore the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right hand and on his left….And there came forth a spirit (#7307), and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him.”

Judges  9:23
“Then God sent an evil spirit (#7307) between Abimelech and the men of Shechem; and the men of Shechem dealt treacherously with Abimelech:”

Luke 24:39 (Jesus said)
“Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit (#4151) hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.”

Hebrews 1:7
“And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits (#4151), and his ministers a flame of fire.”

•   A blast (of air – literally or figuratively)

Isaiah 4:4  (ASV, margin – blast of judgment, blast of burning)
“When the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion, and shall have purged the blood of Jerusalem from the midst thereof by the spirit (#7307) of judgment, and by the spirit  (#7307) of burning.”

•   Verbal expressions

1 Kings 10:5 (The Queen of Sheba had no more questions).
“And the meat of his table, and the sitting of his servants, and the attendance of his ministers, and their apparel, and his cupbearers, and his ascent by which he went up unto the house of the LORD; there was no more spirit (#7307) in her.”

1 Kings 22: 22, 23
“And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit (#7307) in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade (Hebrew: deceive) him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so. Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit (#7307) in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.”

•   Attitude, thoughts

Genesis 41:8
“And it came to pass in the morning that his spirit (#7307) was troubled; and he sent and called for all the magicians of Egypt, and all the wise men thereof: and Pharaoh told them his dream; but there was none that could interpret them unto Pharaoh.”

Genesis 45:27
“And they told him all the words of Joseph, which he had said unto them: and when he saw the wagons which Joseph had sent to carry him, the spirit (#7307) of Jacob their father revived.”

Numbers 5:14
“And the spirit (#7307) of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be defiled: or if the spirit (#7307) of jealousy come upon him, and he be jealous of his wife, and she be not defiled:”

1 Kings 21:5
“But Jezebel his wife came to him, and said unto him, Why is thy spirit (#7307 attitude) so sad, that thou eatest no bread?”

John 4:23
“But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit (#4151) and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.”

•   Character, mind, intellect

Genesis 41:38
“And Pharaoh said unto his servants, Can we find such a one as this is, a man in whom the Spirit  (#7307) of God is?”

Exodus 31:3 (Yahweh [Jehovah] speaking)
“And I have filled him with the spirit (#7307)  of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship.”

Exodus 35:21
“And they came, every one whose heart stirred him up, and every one whom his spirit (#7307) made willing…”

Psalm 32:2
“Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit (#7307) there is no guile.”

Ecclesiastes 3:21
“Who knoweth the spirit (#7307) of man that goeth upward, and the spirit (#7307) of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?”

Proverbs 20:27
“The spirit (#5397 - intellect) of man is the candle (light) of the LORD, searching all the inward parts of the belly (seat of the intellect).”

Ecclesiastes  12:7
“Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit (#7307) shall return unto God who gave it.”

Acts 7:59
“And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit (#4151).” (Stephen’s “spirit” is used here to indicate his character – the only thing Christians are able to take with them to heaven.)

Luke 23: 46
“And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit (#4151): and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.”

“Ghost” is a mistranslation #1606 – “ekpneo” (to breathe out, breathe out one's life, breathe one's last, expire)  which is a combination of #1537 “ek” (out, from, completion) and #4151 “pneuma.” (spirit).

1 Corinthians 2:11
”For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit (# 4151) of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the spirit of God.”

There are many Biblical definitions for the word “spirit” and study of the context is necessary to understand the intended meaning of many Biblical passages, however it is clear that “man” possesses a spirit  - a mind that make moral choices. The power of making moral choices distinguishes the mind/spirit of man from the instinctive spirit of animals.

It is interesting to note that the early-organised Seventh-day Adventist church held this position on the “spirit” also and the organisation still today, unlike most other Protestant religions, rejects the concept of an immortal soul.

5 SDA Bible Commentary p 771 (Luke 8:55)
“Spirit Greek, pneuma, “wind,” “breath,” or “spirit,” from pneo “to blow,” or “to breathe.”  Any extension of the word to designate things possessed of intelligence is a figure of speech known as synechdoche, by which a thing is referred to by naming one of its parts, usually that part which is most characteristic of it.  There is nothing inherent in the word pneuma by which it may be taken to mean some supposed conscious entity of man capable of existing apart from the body, nor does the usage of the word with respect to man in the NT in any way imply such a concept.  This concept is based exclusively on the preconceived opinions of those who, a priori, believe that a conscious entity survives the body at death, and who read this preconceived opinion into such words as “spirit” and “soul.” 

AT Jones, 1893 General Conference Sermons #12, p 4
“God made man to start with, at the real start in Eden.  Did God put in that man the mind of self?  [Congregation:  "No, sir."]  Whose mind was it in that man?  The mind of God.  Brother Haskell has read to us in his lessons the wonderful wisdom that was in Adam and that wisdom was of God that was reflected in the life of Adam--his mind, his thoughts, his whole make-up reflecting the Maker.  When God said, "Let us make man in our image," it meant a great deal more than the shape; it meant that if you and I could have seen Adam and Eve as they came from the hand of God, we would have seen the image of God reflected and would have been caused to think of somebody back of them, far back of them and far superior to them.  Who is that?  God.”

Youth’s Instructor, 10 August, p 3
“God said, "Let us make man in our image." He gave to the work of his hands not only a form resembling his own, but a mind capable of comprehending divine things. His understanding, his memory, his imagination,--every faculty of man's mind,--reflected the image of God. In disposition and heart he was qualified to receive heavenly instruction. He possessed a right understanding, a true knowledge of his Creator, of himself, his duty, his obligations in respect to the law of God. His judgment was uncorrupted, unbiased, and disposed to obedience and affection, regulated according to reason and truth. He was capable of enjoying to the utmost capacity the good gifts of God. Everything upon which he looked was transporting to his senses; every sound was as music in his ears. Yet he was not placed beyond the reach of temptation. He stood as the representative of the human race, --a free moral agent.”

Summary:
Unfallen Humanity
At their creation, humanity through Adam and Eve, were given the “spirit” of God.  This spirit is literally a motivating principle   - a selfless way of thinking –  a selfless way of operating. This spirit is the same principle that motivates every action of  their Creator.  Adam and Eve thought the same unselfish thoughts that the Father and His Son thought. Created with sinless flesh and filled with the Unselfish Divine Mind (the holy spirit of God), man became a living soul, made in the imagine of divinity.   

donsmith
: 5

« #2 : April 29, 2009, 02:52:29 PM »

Hi Sherlene,

Thankyou for your reply.  The particular DVDs that I have are a series of Heavenly Sanctuary teachings. Alex might have produced other series.

I only have these on DVDs. If you like to email me your address, I can arrange to have them copied and sent to you.

God bless.......donsmith

Sherlene
Administrator

« #3 : May 09, 2009, 07:19:22 AM »

Hi DonSmith
Just wondering if you got my PM with my address for receipt of the Ortega Sanctuary DVDs?
If not, please let me know and I'll send it again.
Thanks for the offer to send me a copy.  Much appreciated.

Sherlene
Administrator

« #4 : February 13, 2010, 12:51:24 PM »

Thank you very much DonSmith for sending me those Alex Ortega DVDs.  I appreciate it very much.  I'll try to watch them soon and give you some feedback.  Sorry for my delay in posting this thank you message. 

: [1]

: